Mindfulness: Life is Happening Now. How Present Are You?
It’s true that you’re working harder, but are you working smarter? Mindfulness is living life ‘on pupose’, living as if this day really mattered. While that sounds simple and even obvious, the truth is that it’s really challenging because we’re all crazy busy, driven by false urgencies, and ‘live in our heads’ a lot. You may have heard about mindfulness and may be curious about how it can improve your effectiveness, but maybe you’re not sure where or how to start. With regular practice, mindfulness will help you to cultivate and wake up to a wide array of leadership skills, such as focus, clarity, and creativity – skills that may be dormant within you. Mindfulness is not a theory, but instead is grounded in your body, your bones, in now. Mindfulness can support your leadership and your life in many ways, as it:
- Enhances your ability to respond rather than react, even in tense situations
- Strengthens your capacity to understand and creatively engage complex situations
- Boosts focus and clarity
- Strengthens your connections with yourself and with others
- Fosters positive mood, promoting greater well being, compassion, open-heartedness, and happiness
- Nurtures your physical, mental, and emotional resilience
Lead Smart Coaching offers the following mindfulness services:
- Mindfulness coaching for leaders and teams
- Mindfulness curriculum review and development for schools
- Professional development training in mindfulness
- Mindfulness retreats
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Course — this is a transformational classic 8-week session designed to promote and enhance physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well being based on the work of Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D., and the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society
An exquisite composite of deep wisdom, intentional study, mindful awareness, and compassionate presence shines through Valerie Brown’s work. Val’s keen insight and willing witness to both process and personhood in the people and systems that benefit from her consultation is unparalleled. She possesses both macroscopic vision and microscopic attention to detail. Val’s own soul work lends spacious generosity to her vocational life. I met Val’s smile first; and in my encounter with the quiet of her spirit, flame of her mind, and richness of her vast experience have found my journey as an educator of spiritual leaders, administrator of a multi-campus hospital chaplaincy system, mother, poet and human being forever transformed.
— Rev. Amani D. Legagneur, M.Div., Manager, of Chaplaincy Services, Northside Hospital System, Atlanta, GA.
“Valerie, you remind me of a deep, calm, cooling current running steadily below everything. In a world which feels so frenetic and heady, you inspire me to more slowly and intentionally, stay grounded and rooted in my truth.”
— Katrina Peterson, Harvard Divinity School, M.Div. Candidate