This is a sampling of the explosion of research on mindfulness across various topics.
Mindfulness and the Workplace
The regular practice of mindfulness aids work performance in these ways:
- improved job performance and reduced turnover
- more emotional balance and less emotional exhaustion
- better decision making
- enhanced leadership (including in the C-Suite) and supervisory skills
- bottom line impacts improved job performance and reduced turnover
News Articles on Mindfulness and the Brain
“The Mind Business: Why some of the west’s biggest companies are embracing eastern spirituality” (in the Financial Times, August 26, 2012 about mindfulness training at General Mills) http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d9cb7940-ebea-11e1-985a-00144feab49a.html#axzz28tcxjgfu
“Okay Google, Take a Deep Breath” (in the New York Times, April 28, 2012 about the very popular mindfulness course at Google) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/technology/google-course-asks-employees-to-take-a-deep-breath.html?pagewanted=all
- The Science of Mindfulness: Dr. Daniel J. Siegel on what makes mindfulness so beneficial to our health, psyche, and overall quality of life. Mindful.org.
- How Meditation Changes the Brain, New York Times, Jan 2011.
- Brain Imaging Illuminates Neuro Basis of Meditation, ABC News, Nov 2011.
- New Research: Sadness and Depression with the Brain in Mind. MentalHelp.Net, Nov 12, 2010.
- Pain Is No Matter for the Meditative Mind. BrainBlogger, Oct 2011.
- Rewiring the Brain to Ease Pain. Wall Street Journal, Nov 2011.
- Stuck on the crossword? How meditation can help you get better brain power, Mail Online, Sep 2008.
- Teaching the Neurons to Meditate, Science Daily, Jul 2011.
- The neuroscience of mindfulness, Psychology Today, Oct 2009.
Research on Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
- How the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Program May be Able to Help Some of Your Patients. A compilation by UMass Medical School of research on the efficacy of MBSR in patients with various medical conditions.
- Mindfulness meditation training changes brain structure in 8 weeks. Participating in an 8-week mindfulness meditation program appears to make measurable changes in brain regions associated with memory, sense of self, empathy and stress. Massachusetts General Hospital News Release, Jan 21, 2011.
- The benefits of meditation: MIT and Harvard neuroscientists explain why the practice helps tune out distractions and relieve pain. MIT News, May 5, 2011.
- Mindfulness meditation improves connections in the brain, Harvard Medical School Health Publications, April 08, 2011.
- Mindfulness practice leads to increases in regional brain gray matter density. Participation in MBSR is associated with changes in brain regions involved in learning and memory processes, emotion regulation, self-referential processing, and perspective taking. PubMed.gov, Jan 2010.
- Mindfulness Practice Improves Skills of Attention Regulation and Interoceptive Awareness, Wolf Mehling, MD, Jennifer Daubenmier, Ph.D., Cynthia Price, Ph.D (2013)
- Mindfulness in the Workplace, Marlene Samuelson, Ph.D and Diana Kamila (2013)
- A Low-Dose Worksite Mindfulness Intervention Investigating Levels of Inflammation, Maryanna Klatt, Ph.D., David Jarjoura, Ph.D., William Malarkey, MD (2013)
New York Academy of Sciences Panel Discussion on the Science of Mindfulness:
Are you attending a Courage & Renewal Retreat and want to learn more abut Quaker clearness committees? Click this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uLv_dGbHRo
These are resources on calming and pausing and on the practice of mindfulness in daily life:
The books listed here are considered classics on the topic of mindfulness:
- Chodron, Pema. The Places That Scare You. Boston: Shambhala, 2002.
- Chodron, Pema. The Wisdom of No Escape and the Path of Loving Kindness. Boston: Shambhala, 1991.
- Chodron, Pema. When Things Fall Apart. Shambala, 1997
- Chodron, Pema Start Where You Are. Shambala, 1994
- Goldstein, Joseph. Insight Meditation. Boston: Shambhala, 1994.
- Goldstein, Joseph and Kornfield, Jack. Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight
- Goleman, Daniel. Focus, The Hidden Driver of Excellence. New York: HarperCollins, 2013
- HH Dalai Lama and Cutler, H. The Art of Happiness. Coronet , 1998
- Hanson, Rick. Buddha’s Brain, Oakland, CA, New Harbinger, 2009
- Hanson, Rick. Hardwiring Happiness, New York: Random House, 2013
- Kabat—Zinn, Jon. Full Catastrophe Living. New York: Dela Corte Press, 1990.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Wherever You Go There You Are. New York: Hyperion, 1994.
- Kabat—Zinn, Jon. Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Mindfulness for Beginners. Boulder, CO: Sounds True, 2012
- Kornfield, Jack. A Path With Heart. New York: Bantam, 1994.
- Kornfield, Jack. After the Ecstasy the Laundry. New York: Bantam Books, 2000.
- Kornfjeld, Jack. The Art of Forgiveness, Loving Kindness and Peace. New York: Bantam, 2002.
- Salzberg, Sharon. Loving Kindness. Shambala Classics, 2002
- Salzbeg, Sharon. Real Happiness at Work, New York: Workman Publishing, 2014
- Santorelli, Saki. Heal Thy Self. New York: Bell Tower, 1999.
- Siegel, Daniel. Mindsight, New York: Bantum, 2011.
- Tan, Chade-Meng. Search Inside Yourself: The Unexpected Path to Achieving Success, Happiness (and World Peace) HarperOne, 2012
- Thich Nhat Hanh. The Miracle of Mindfulness. Boston: Beacon, 1976.
- Thich Nhat Hanh. Peace is Every Step. New York: Bantam, 1991.
- Thich Nhat Hanh. The Blooming of a Lotus. Guided Meditation Exercises for Healing and Transformation. Boston: Beacon Press, 1993.
Please refer to the online appendices in The Mindful School Leader: Practices to Transform Your Leadership and School for a comprehensive list of resources.