301 Howard Street
June 14-16, 2017 (Wednesday to Friday)
Chalfonte Hotel, 301 Howard Street, Cape May, New Jersey 08204
with Valerie Brown, JD, MA, ACC
The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach – waiting for a gift from the sea.
Anne Morrow Lindbergh
“After a visit to the beach, it’s hard to believe that we live in a material world.”
About this retreat by the sea….
Based on the work of the American writer, Parker J. Palmer and the Center for Courage & Renewal, this two-day-midweek retreat explores issues of transition, vocation, life passion, purpose, meaning, direction, relationships, and underlying life patterns, to live in alignment with one’s deepest values and the courage to act with integrity and authenticity.
Guided by core principles and practices, which include the belief that everyone has an inner teacher, an inner source of truth, we will engage in contemplative practices to support personal and societal transformation. The retreat promotes self-awareness, understanding, inner resilience, and trust, and offers the supportive community, as well as time for quiet personal reflection.
During the retreat, we explore poetry, prose, music, gentle guided movement, video, journaling, stories from various wisdom traditions, periods of silence, and mindfulness meditation practices. The retreat includes periods of silence and quiet self-reflection, large and small group discussions, deep listening through a version the Quaker process of the clearness committee.
Enjoy spacious time on the beach and at historic seaside inn in Cape May, New Jersey, as well as much laughter and lightness.
Each day-long retreat—one for each season of the year— includes light breakfast, hot and cold buffet lunch, coffee and tea, plus all materials. Register for one retreat or for all
What you will experience during this seaside retreat….
- Circle of Trust® Touchstones and Approach
- Rest and renewal at a historic seaside resort with spacious time at the ocean
- Deep listening skills to build relational trust
- How to ask honest, open questions to support understanding, especially in challenging times
- An introduction to the Quaker clearness committee, a 16th century process of individual discernment in community
- Sabbath rest and renewal
- Journaling as a tool of discernment
- Creative expression through art
- Discernment in community
- Mindfulness meditation
- Body movement/Body awareness
Our venue by the sea….
Established in 1876, the historic Chalfonte Hotel is recognized as the oldest continuously operating hotel in Cape May, America’s Original Seaside Resort. Situated just two blocks from the beach, The Chalfonte offers a unique seashore experience defined by warm, Southern-style hospitality and gracious traditions.
Cape May is an historic Victorian seaside gem and is the oldest resort and one of the most beautiful spots in the country. The entire city of Cape May is a National Historic District, with nearly 600 preserved Victorian buildings.
Culturally, the Chalfonte’s long-standing tradition of warm hospitality and nationally-acclaimed Southern style fare is an essential part of the experience.
Fees and costs include:
$750.00 per person/double occupancy includes:
- Lodging and all taxes
- Wednesday dinner, Thursday breakfast and dinner, Friday breakfast. Thursday picnic lunch on the beach is an additional modest fee.
- All retreat materials, including pre- and post-retreat materials
- Expert retreat facilitation
- Early morning self-care practices at the beach (gentle yoga, walking, or meditation)
- Small group setting to enhance your personal experience; the retreat is limited to 15
Fee does NOT include:
- Transportation to and from the retreat venue
- Tips and drinks
How to Register:
There are two simple steps to register for this retreat:
- Click the ‘Retreats & Facilitation Services Pay Now’ Button and pay the $500.00 deposit to reserve your place. (Paypal charges and fees are NOT included in the price.) Alternatively, you may write a check for $750.00 made payable to Lead Smart Coaching, LLC, 95 Old York Rd., New Hope, PA 18938 and mail it to me. Please do NOT make the check payable to Valerie Brown.
- Complete the registration form containing a confidential questionnaire and return it to me at email@example.com or by mail at the address above no later than June 1, 2017.
CLICK HERE FOR THE REGISTRATION FORM